Alstroemeria 'Butterscotch': My Favorite Plant of the Week

I admit, in the past, I've thought these flowers were only for grocery store bouquets. However, I have new found respect for these long lasting blooms.


Alstromemeria 'Butterscotch' has been a beautiful, prolific bloomer in my perennial garden this summer and it has weathered a monsoon of rainstorm in the past week. Sturdy stems and long lived blooms are why this plant is my favorite this week.

I picked up this, Xera grown pretty, early in spring and it's been a charmer. Here is a link to PlantLust.com's description of this plant.  Note that it is pretty hardy for our PNW climate and is not a massive spreader.


I'm keen to try another variety. I can see from PlantLust.com that there are many other varieties. Maybe a trip to the Xera retail store is in my future?

Find out who else is flaunting their favorite plants of the week at Danger Garden's blog.

Happy Fall Gardening Blogging Friends! Cheers, Jenni

Comments

  1. This is a beautiful color, I love it. I recently bought a sort of apricot-colored one, but I'm hanging onto it till spring, when it's probably going in the front garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw a picture of the apricot one, should be a real beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely colour, my BIL has alot of Alstroemeria in his garden tits his favorite flower .

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are many different colored Alstrroemerias but this is a really lovely one. In our country you don't often see them in gardens, even nurseries hardly have them in stock. But in the commercial greenhouses they are grown on great scale for flowershops but mostly for export.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a lovely flower, shape and colors. It's no wonder it is your favorite flower for the week.

    Have a great Sunday ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  6. They have lovely looking flowers! Really pretty photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Much easier to appreciate their beauty in the natural environment of your garden rather than in a grocery store bouquet! : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is a beautiful plant that I have been tempted to try.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember how surprised I was when I first saw one of these in a garden, as I too thought they were a tropical grocery store cut flower. Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for highlighting its usefulness as a garden plant. Like you, I always thought of it as a grocery store purchase, but now I think I'll have to give it a go in the ground. The color of this one is especially nice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I got Alstroemeria psittacina 'variegate from Xera this summer ...I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think you just changed my opinion on this plant. What gorgeous coloring!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Jennifer. A few years ago I found two (rather sad looking) 2-gallon PINK blooming tall alstros on clearance from a nursery/farm stand. I planted them and have never been happier with their performance. From May onward they're in bloom and look wonderful. I always thought alstros were tender but mine have been through a few tough winters and survived just fine. Yours is also a beauty. I also have Linda's pretty A. psittacina but by comparison, it is a weakling. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post. The comment moderator is on and I will approve comments as soon as I can. Thank you for stopping by!

Popular Posts