Things We Are Learning to Live Without

My husband surprised me by posting a list of things our family is learning to live without on his facebook page. We have been on a journey of moving away from being a 'consuming' household' to a 'producing' household. So, to get an idea of what this journey has been like for us and how we've been able to afford to live off of one quite modest income, here are some steps we've taken as written by my husband.

Part of the process downsizing and becoming more economical is finding ways to save money. So Jen and I have been brainstorming over the past 9 months on how we can save money and what items we can live without. Here are some we have done or are in the process of doing. I'm planning on making this an evolving list so I welcome additional ideas.

1. Used Car...we sold the nice Subaru Outback and replaced it with an older Subaru Forester that we paid cash for. It is not nearly as nice, but it gets from point A to point B all the same. We don't have a car payment and we also save money on insurance since it only has to have liability coverage.

2. Fresh Produce...this is a work in progress but we are becoming urban farmers more and more, growing our own fresh produce that is both organic and GMO free.

3. Cable/Satellite TV...okay I admit I'm a TV junkie, there I said it. Now moving on the plan when we get to West Linn is to not have Cable or Satellite service. We will attempt to get broadcast TV which should be possible being closer to the Portland area. We also will have faster and more reliable internet service and we have a dedicated "Net top" computer for streaming video and music.

4. Gym Membership...no more paying for gym membership that admittedly goes under utilized. We will be in a nice neighborhood where walking and riding bikes is safe. If I want to go to spin class, there are places you can simply pay by the class.

5. Smart Phones...we have pay as you go "dumb phones" that work just fine for calling and texting. No we can't post to Facebook from them so whatever we have to say will just have to wait till we get home. Our monthly bill for two lines is $50 and some change.

6. Clothes...I've never been on the cutting edge of fashion so this doesn't bother me much. I wear my clothes till I wear them out and buy neutral styles that aren't in style but don't look terribly out of place a few years down the road either. For holidays and birthdays I often ask for gift cards and such and use those to buy clothes, otherwise I haven't purchased much over the past few years.

7. Heating costs...It took some negotiations with Jen (who runs colder while I run warmer) but lowering the thermostat has saved us $16 a month in the gas bill even though she is home during the day now. We lower it even more at night while we are sleeping. Putting on a sweater or crawling under an extra blanket is much cheaper than keeping the house 5-10 degrees warmer.

8. Commercial Cleaning Products...More and more you can make cleaning products from inexpensive materials. Take household cleaners for example, you can use items like Baking Soda, Borax, Bleach, and Vinegar for many cleaning uses and it is not only cheap but also non-toxic. Once I use up the cleaners I purchased at the store, I save the spray bottles and mix my own cleaners for pennies to the dollar.

Here are a few more items added by me, Jenni.

9) Cooking from scratch. This means I keep my pantry stocked with useful items that are multi-purpose and are 'whole' foods. Cooking from scratch takes time. I know there are some wonder-women out there who work full time and do it all, I just wasn't one of them. We ate a lot of prepackaged and processed foods when I worked full time as a social worker. Now, we don't and I've cut hundreds of dollars off our monthly grocery bill. 

10) Preserving food. Last summer when my husband was in the hospital for nearly two months, I was a mess. But, I managed to keep my garden thriving and I was able to preserve vegetables like tomatoes, potatoes, onions, carrots and zucchini. I also froze strawberries and raspberries from our gardens. This year, despite the chaos of moving and remodeling the house in West Linn, I will easily triple my food preservation. Eating from our freezer this winter was awesome and shaved $ off the grocery budget. 

11) Kid's activities. We pay for our son to play 1 recreational sport and I hope to be able to offer my daughter the same opportunity. We have been gifted a membership to the zoo as a Christmas present. That's it. We regularly take trips as a family to the beach, play board games on week nights together, have a weekly movie night together and often, our kids accompany us on all our errands. (yes, grocery shopping with kids bites, but it teaches them what choices we are making about the food we consume.)  Hyper-scheduled kids is not a lifestyle choice that fits in with our families values.

Speaking for myself (Jenni), giving up our nice car seriously sucked. But, it's done and it was the item that was requiring me to work full time outside the home. I'm totally over it and running my small business from home has been well worth the trade. 

Scaling back and living more simply has eased so much stress from our family and freed us up to spend more time together and enjoy better health and have less dependence on a consumer driven lifestyle.


Who knows what is around the corner for us? But learning to live without some things and employing frugal house-holding practices has 'paid off' thus far for our families journey.


Do you employ any frugal practices in your household?
Cheers, Jenni

Comments

  1. This is a great post, Jenni! It's hard to give things up once we have them, for sure! One thing we do, is always buy used cars and pay cash. When we were dating, I bought a "nice" used car and took out a loan...(I hadn't been so frugal as my (now) husband) That car is still running, 20 years later! A bit rusty, but it's now the "farm car"! I garden and preserve food, and try to cook mostly from scratch. Hubby buys nothing he doesn't need. We certainly aren't perfect, but we're working on the frugality, and believe me, it pays off!! Hats off to your family! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alica, I love the story about your car! How cool that it is still useful to the farm. I was far to 'image' oriented in the past and the car was a big part of that, so it was quite hard to let go. But, funny enough, I'm still the same person and if people don't like me because of my older car, well, too bad for them ;)

      Delete
    2. That's right! It's their problem! (they're going to be paying a lot of money that they wouldn't have to, for a long time!) Now our challenge is teaching our son the same thing. He just got his permit TODAY...and is going to want a car eventually. Hopefully what we've taught him will have sunk in! :)

      Delete
  2. Jen! I am so proud of your sacrifices. I am getting on the household cleaner bandwagon with you! You will have to share some of your recipes.

    I dont think I can give up my iphone...it is my one luxury.

    Like you I get most of my clothing as gifts now. I also sell clothing and barter with friends/sisters when I can.

    I miss having a car... I'll take a junker at this point lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jana, I've got some great little books and ebooks to share w/out for household cleaner recipes.

      Delete
  3. Great post! We are happy with just one car. I drive my husband to the train station every morning, which means I don't get to sleep in, but he also has a job that allows him to work at home at least once a week and sometimes more. When I worked we ate out a lot too, even though I love cooking. I hope you are enjoying cooking more. Meals don't have to be fancy, with sauces and all kinds of exotic ingredients and strange processes. Salt, pepper and good olive oil are my favorite seasonings. Some of my husband's favorite meals are just a simple protein and one vegetable, or a side salad. I usually make him the same simple lunch every day too, to take to work. I dress simply too. Kudos to both of you for trying to simplify your lives! Also, kudos to your husband for knowing what a GMO-free vegetable is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alison, I just love that you picked on him my hubby knowing what a GMO free veggie is! I agree with you that meals don't have to be fancy, just nutritious. It's great to make a sauce or a dressing and know what exactly is in it! I've never owned so many spices and herbs before ~ my palette has been enjoying all of the flavors :)

      Delete
  4. Way to go Jenni and hubby!

    Our cars are older models and are paid for. I've always cooked from scratch. Most of our clothing comes from thrift stores. We're going to look into the pay as you go phones as we only want that for me to carry to work in case of an emergency. Neither of us are phone people.

    Our house is tiny so heating and cooling aren't too bad. We have three ceiling fans that we use, but turn off when we're not in the rooms. We keep the a.c. at the warmer end rather than colder and it's on the sleep setting which means it all shuts down when the compressor goes off. We clean our filter once a month which helps the a.c. run better.

    We take solar heated showers year round, outdoors in our screened room behind our cottage. It is very private back there and we both enjoy showering with the blue sky overhead, with birds, butterflies and breezes. It's liberating, although I know it isn't for everyone.

    I have a library card so am not buying books like I used to. Although I did buy a book at the thrift store this morning for 84 cents, "100 English Roses for the American Garden", by Smith & Hawkin. It's a wonderful book filled with beautiful photos of roses.

    It's great to start making changes in the way we live that are better for us and our environment.

    Keep up the good work you are doing.

    Hugs ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FL - I love your book find! Book buying is a naughty habit of mine. I justify it by saying that since we live so far out from any type of good book store, nor do we have a decent library. One of the things I look forward to is living in a town with a great library and being near used book shops as I plan to haunt both regularly. BTW - I think the outdoor shower is awesome and am jealous that you can enjoy warm enough temps year round to employ one! Cheers!

      Delete
  5. One point that really ticks boxes with me is actually spending time with your kids rather than spending money on them. As a primary teacher I was regularly coming into contact with 'things rich' but 'attention poor' children. Children whose parents worked all hours to provide them with the latest 'must have' items but spent little time with them.

    It often backfired in the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, ya know, there is so much pressure out there to have your kid in this and that, often forcing your family to be on the run most nights of the week. I have no interest in that pace, or the outlay of cash required to participate. I agree whole-heartedly with what you wrote.

      Delete
  6. Many of our money saving habits/tactics have already been covered by your lists & others' comments - our vehicles are paid off, we grow some of our own fruits & veggies, cook mostly from scratch & control the thermostat. I used to buy a lot of books, but now our daughter & I enjoy trips to the local library together. Our family loves to hike & enjoy beach walks together, almost "free" adventures except for gas & entrance fees at county/regional, state or national parks (a worthwhile expense!) To minimize costs, I have been taking a more homespun approach to birthday parties with our daughter & I making most of our own decorations or purchasing inexpensive supplies that can be repurposed or used in future arts & crafts projects after the party. A couple examples... For her fairy themed party, she drew & colored a unicorn & horns for the "Pin The Horn On The Unicorn" game. For her puppy & kitten themed party, I photocopied her puppy & kitten drawings for the covers of plain notebooks to create journals as party favors. For inexpensive thank you notes, I've also photocopied her drawings for the cover of notecards. Since it's fresh on my mind, a couple ideas for end of school year gifts... For teachers/staff, we usually give small handmade tokens of appreciation, reserving a larger gift for just her primary teacher. For classmates, I can often dip into our craft supplies & sticker stash to pull together a little goodie bag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa! I've got a lot of work to do in the book buying department. I love books and I want to keep them forever, so I buy them. Drives my husband nuts. Once we are moved back into civilization, I have to become friends with the library. I love your ideas for creating cute themed kids parties and teachers gifts!

      Delete
  7. We're in the same mode. About 6 years ago, my wife realized we were living beyond our means. Since then, we have been steadily reducing our use of consumer credit. We're within reach of having just our home mortgage as debt in a few more years by doing all the things you mentioned.

    Thankfully, our kids are not all-in on sports. Aria does theater, but the other kids play together or have friends over. Our new house in NY is situated in 2 acres of forest, and that suits my kids really well.

    I have also always been a massive book collector. Over the last 5 years, my book collection has decreased by 70% easily. Kindle books are cheaper and fit my reading style better. Plus I can download the classics as free PDFs with no borrowing time limit.

    We also purchased Amazon Prime. It pays for itself every year because we can buy things for less money and without spending anything for gas. Is it better for consumption globally? I'm not sure. I haven't seen the research on it. But it certainly has made our spending a little easier to control. We don't do impulse buying on Amazon. If it comes on my screen, I've searched for it.

    As far as phones go - we went with a smartphone plan with Virgin Mobile for $35/month with 600 minutes of talk time and unlimited data, web, and messaging. We no longer need a GPS, an MP3 player, a point-and-shoot camera, or a video camera. And having access to Google Calendar all the time is super handy. Overall for us, the smartphone is a money saver I think.

    Also (and this is weird) we are likely going to buy a 3rd car as my commuter. My SUV made sense in Beaverton where I was a bike commuter, and only used it for camping or family trips. It will be cheaper for the family for me to get an older convertible (late 90s Miata if I can). We'll buy it with cash, and the money we'll save on gas will cover what would have been the car payment.

    Here's my last thing for this comment: a 401(k) can save your debt-ridden life. Our plan to finish our debt payment looks like this: take a loan out of the 401(k) that's enough to remove a single debt. As we repay the 401(k), we're paying interest to ourselves, not to a bank. We're going to pay off our only credit card this way. Once that is done, we'll have enough extra cash flow to accelerate our other debt payoffs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tom! First of all, I hope you get the Miata :) I like your suggestion about the 401k, that is a good point to consider. I've thought about Amazon Prime, it's something I'm considering, but I mainly just want to consume less overall and books are my guilty pleasure; I worry I'd have little self control w/Amazon. I haven't made it over to the dark side yet and gotten a Kindle ;) Who knew I would be so old fashioned and refuse to leave the world of paper books? Well, for now at least :)

      I hope you post of pics soon of your new digs & forest! That sounds wonderful! I'm so glad to hear that you guys are settling in well. I hope this move proves to be a great one for you & your family! Cheers, Jenni

      Delete
  8. Sounds like you guys got it together...our 5 children are gone now and we can actually do for ourselfs now, which means be more frugal and eat more healthy, especially home grown things which the kids were picky about...we love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good for you! Once you start it's addictive.
    We have pay as you go phones. No iphones. I find phones REALLY boring! I don't want to be connected all the time.
    We don't own a tumble dryer (clothes dryer): instead we line dry all our washing. This week our son has returned from university, with mammoth amounts of clothes to wash. He'll get them done all in good time!
    No gym membership - instead we cycle (husband) and walk (me) to and from work. My walk is a 45 minutes each way, uphill all the way in the morning.
    We rarely eat out, and cook from scratch most of the time. We drink tap water rather than bottled water or fizzy drinks.
    I'm curious to read that you leave your heating on at night. Why not turn it off and save more money? We never have heating on at night, even in winter temperatures well below freezing outside. That's common throughout Scotland.
    Good luck with your money saving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, you put us to shame with your endurance for cold temperatures! :) But you make a good point and half of my family heritage is pure Scottish so I should be able to turn the heat off at night. It's something I shall consider!

      Delete
  10. Its amazing how many things we can do without, or recycle, or reuse, or grow! It's great you're having a think about what your priorities are, and becoming more environmental friendly as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved reading what you have done. I was surprised to find that most of these, we too have started doing. I am also aware of each and every dollar I spend, and ask myself if I really want/need it. Many times I put it back - including plants! (my guilty pleasure) :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow. You have a lot of comments on this post. Just to show that many people have the same frame of mind that you have. Wishing you Good luck with everything that you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've gotten some wonderful idea's from many of the comments too. It's a hot topic for many of us :)

      Delete
  13. Finding out more frugal ways to do things is honestly my favourite! It really makes my day.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post. The comment moderator is on and I will approve comments as soon as I can. Thank you for stopping by!

Popular Posts