Blue, Pink and White in the April Garden

Fothergilla 'Mt. Airy'
The colors in the April gardens are vivid and bold. Chartreuse, pinks and blues dominate the scene.

Pink Dogwood - probably 70+ years old - variety unknown
The old dogwood tree that my husband's great-grandfather planted likely back in the 1940's is blooming with perfect pink petals that smartly contrast with the emerging yellow green leaves.

Hyacinthoides hispanica
Another gift from the great grandparents, who built the house we now call home, are Spanish bluebells. I could do without this spring thug, but as they are all blooming right now..it's a brilliant show of blue garden carpet.


I am absolutely smitten with dicentra. The heart shaped blooms beg to be photographed.

Dicentra formosa
I might have bought a few more last weekend. I can't get enough. The bold chartreuse foliage of dicentra spectabilis is amazing in the spring garden.

Dicentra formosa
Not sure that Demon Cat approves of the pretty pastels. He's so awful.


Soon the columbines will be delighting my eyes. I see the buds are emerging for future blooms. But, for now, the bluebells reign.

Hyacinthoides hispanica
And a random tulip...blooming in neglected pots..


I do love this moment in the spring when the grass is growing faster than you can keep it mowed and the scourge of bluebells blanket the ground. Tulips, new foliage on the trees and the sweet scent of lilacs and cherry blossoms down the street, make this time of year outdoors amazing.


Want more April blooms..head over to May Dreams Garden and see what is blooming in April around the world. Cheers, Jenni

Comments

  1. Demon Cat is the perfect counterpoint to all the sweetness in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're ahead of us.. thanks for the reminder of what is soon to come our way. Love Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enchanting photos, Jenni. Very beautiful - especially the Dicenta. We call them "Bleeding Hearts"! Funnily enough, I always think of Spring as being the Yellow time of year - Daffodils, Forsythia, Cytisus, Primroses, Cowslips etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As mentioned above you are ahead of us. Our dicentra is still only a few inches tall. Yellow still dominates here

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just have one dicentra so far, but I also love watching it unfold and burst into life!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your garden looks positively dreamy, Jenni! That dogwood is to die for... And Demon Cat cracks me up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is a beautiful time in your garden! Things happen so rapidly right now that it's like magic! I also inherited far too many of those bluebells and my efforts to get rid of them have only resulted in more of them (don't know how that works!) so I guess it's best to just enjoy them and then rip the foliage out as soon as the blooms are done so that other things can be planted.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love spring flowers with all my heart. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post. The comment moderator is on and I will approve comments as soon as I can. Thank you for stopping by!

Popular Posts