August Bloom Day 2016


The garden in August is the culmination of color. All the summer blooms are popping...before the eventual fade into fall.


A new bloom this year, in it's second year in my gardens is the bold blooms of the bigleaf Goldenray 'Othello'. It's wide purple leaves and stiking blooms make it a fun accent in the shade garden.

Ligularia Dentata
In my 'pocket' garden, between the house and the detachted garage. Dahlias, purple coneflowers and 'Fire King' crocosima. It's becoming a wild and unruly space...more stakes are in my future.


I have mixed feelings about this time of year...I hate the heat of summer but I love heat loving summer blooms. It's a problem.

On the cooler side of the house...my first blooms of anemone 'September Charm' have arrived. I've had this plant for two years and now am rewarded.

anemone 'September Charm'

Another purple bloomer has just opened up! This aster was a gift from fellow garden blogger Tamara over at Chickadee Gardens. I love asters because they are a beacon for the changing season. A reminder fall (my favorite season) is near. I don't know the name of this pretty thing..better check in with Tamara.

Aster
The bee's have enjoyed the coneflowers this year. I don't know why, but coneflowers are my summer love. The petals, their strudy stocks keeping the umbrella blooms upright for lasting enjoyment and the vivid colors that pop in my gardens.

Echinacea purpurea 'Sombrero'
I try to grow a lot of blooms for vistitors like hummingbirds....and bumble bee's.

Agastache 'Apricot Sprite'
Many of the summer blooms that I like require well draining soil..like agastache, but I live a world of heavy clay and no amount of amending has really changed that. So, I am learning to put those types of perennials in containers...like salvia 'Amistad'. Hopefully...they'll winter over too :)

salvia 'Amistad'
And more summer perennial favorites:

Yarrow...

Achillea 'Summer Wine'

Achillea 'Paprika'
Rudbecka.....
Rudbeckia 'Pinwheel'
Rudbecka hirta

Bulbs...

Liatris...finishing up for the summer. I love it when I catch bumblebees sleeping in it....(of course not on camera though,..)
liatris
Dahlias..



And second flushes of color...

Solidago
I'll be enjoying the last month of summer and I'll miss these blooms when they are gone. It's been a beautiful summer in the Rainy Day Garden.

Join Carol over at May Dreams Gardens on the 15th of every month to see what is 'Blooming' every month.

Cheers, Jenni

Comments

  1. I love ligularia Desdemona but sadly so do slugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful blooms Jenni, with lots of color. Exactly what I would expect! Hope they hold up to the coming heat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All your plants look so fresh and colorful ! Mine garden looks autumnal , and will look more so after this next blast of heat !

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lovely late summer looks in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your photos, but i love most the Achillea flowers. It is very obvious though in their colors that they are all cold country flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely array of flowers - just perfect late summer fare! Your pollinators must love you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also grow mostly flowers that attract hummingbirds and pollinators, so I got some ideas from your lovely flowers. More to add to my wish list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That first photo is absolutely glorious. Just as a garden should be!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful!! Love these pics of such a happy garden. :o)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post. The comment moderator is on and I will approve comments as soon as I can. Thank you for stopping by!

Popular Posts