Better Late than Never..Spring Arrives

One week post Bloom Day and poof!!.. spring has landed my suburban garden. Thank goodness..I wasn't sure it would happen this year.

The star magnolia is blooming this week. Last year, it bloomed the last week of Feburary. It's a relief to have the air temps warm up a bit and to see new growth occurring in the gardens. We are still deluged with rain, but we've had a few sunny days (I might have played hookie from work one of those days...)

Heuchera's are pushing out new foliage. The plant 'Miracle' was gifted to me and it's been a gem. I'm hoping it'll create some babies..I'd love to fill in more space with it. New foliage has deep burgandy color with chartreuse edges. I'm getting the dramatic burgandy color as it's been a cool spring.

heuchera 'Miracle'
The native ribes are blooming and my 'King Edward VII' is right behind them. The migrating hummers are starting to arrive and not too soon as these offer sweet nectar. I'm loving this shrub as a part of a layered hedge that I am developing along a fence line. Tall..but not too tall and has a nice vase shape that's not floppy. And..the natives are just as showy.

ribes sanguineum 'King Edward VII'
Demon 'The Terrible' Cat, follows me around while I snap pictures. This scene pretty much sums up my life. Soccer gear sprinkled all around the porch, plants waiting to be planted or re-potted and an empty chair...where my rear-end should be relaxing..but never quite seem to find the time.


In the back yard, the white pine 'Louie' continues to grow. It's about four years old now.  Demon cat hides behind pieris japonica 'Scarlett O'Hara'.


The 'bleeding heart fuschias' are emerging. The captured water droplets on the foliage look like sparkling diamonds in the sun.


And I can't remember what this is. Maybe one of my smarty garden blogging friends will tell me. I love the swirling patter of the new growth. (I figur'ed it out by reading one of my smarty pants friends blog...it's a variegated saxifraga most likely - Saxifraga x urbium )


Helleborus continues to bloom. Gorgeous plants. How did I ever garden without them?



This newly acquired dwarf conifer has striking color. I'll be searching for the perfect pot for this pretty.

chamaecyparis lawsoniana 'treasure island'
And that's it for this quick tour. It felt so good to stand in sunshine and feel the warmth. Happy, Happy, Happy Spring! It's finally here.
Cheers, Jenni

Comments

  1. This time of year may not be quite as colourful as high Summer, but there is still plenty of interest in your garden. The tender new growth is very beautiful as long as you look closely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mark, I am hopeful that we may in fact..be done with winter. The new foliage is striking on some plants. It makes it worth the wait :)

      Delete
  2. Your garden is looking gorgeous! You're a bit ahead of us up here but we're both a bit behind previous years. Happy spring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for sunshine! Yay for spring! Everything looks gorgeous, Jen. Oh, and you got the saxifrage labeled, great! Those are fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have sure enjoyed watching this garden grow and mature. You have done a fabulous job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bonnie! I love watching your garden grow and also enjoy all of your adventures. You never rest girl!

      Delete
  5. This week was our first spring-like weather too, I got so much done in the garden! That Heuchera probably will not self-sow any babies, but you can make more by rooting pieces of it. I love Ribes sanguineum too. Watch for seedlings, I find them all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alison, it didn't even occur to me to look for ribes seedlings! Thanks for the reminder!

      Delete
  6. Loving your new look to greet spring. The white pine is a gem.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post. The comment moderator is on and I will approve comments as soon as I can. Thank you for stopping by!

Popular Posts