Fall Splendor in the Rainy Day Garden

Autumn is my favorite time of year: golden, changing light and crisp air. I enjoy the colorful display so many of my trees and plants put on this time of year.

Here's a look at what's happening now:

The coral bark maple tree is beginning to shed it's leaves..

acer palmatum sango kaku on a native maiderhair fern
Below, the skeletons of blooms will make for a fine, frosted scene (whenever we get our first frost....) on eutrochium purpureum (Joe Pye Weed). I fell in love with this plant when I visited Holland and saw it blanketing the canals and riverbanks. I do my best to keep it moist in the summer here..and it has rewarded me with wonderful, three season interest.

eutrochium purpureum 'Joe Pye Weed'
This image had to be shared. The 'Coral' in coral bark maple was really standing out against the golden leaves.

acer palmatum sango kaku
And just one shot more...

acer palmatum sango kaku
I've been watching persicaria 'Lance Corporal' turn to shades of yellow-gold as autumn marches on.


Fothergilla 'Mt. Airy' is marginally boring most of the year...I mean the little bottle brush flowers in the spring are nice..but it's fall when this darling shines! The orange and red colors in autumn are stunning. It was a Great Plant Pick .

fothergilla 'Mount Airy'
Who doesn't think a white tipped dwarf hemlock is pretty? It's very charming.

tsuga canadensis 'Gentsch White'
Water droplets on grasses in autumn. Panicums are my favorite. I love their brillant colors in the autumn and then the seedheads!!!


Echinacea seedheads are focal points in the autumn garden. I leave them up for the birds to eat during winter.


My back garden is full of bold colors but I like to add a splash of blue to cool things a bit. This pretty conifer was gifted to me and it's doing very well. Hmmm, wonder if I can squeeze in a few more conifers back there....

Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Curly Top'
The leaves on the flowering currants age gracefully.


And the astrantia blooms dry so nicely, it's like they are frozen in time.


Buds forming on pieris...a spring show is a few months away.


Oh..and don't forget the gorgeous blue 'Spanish Fir'. It's a baby and it won't get as big in my garden as it would in the wild but the structure and color is something that stands out all autumn and winter.


Thanks for taking a look at my little photo essay. I'm relishing the fall season right now. Things are beginning to slow down and we're putting the garden to sleep with lot's of leaf mulch.

Time for some 'Hggye' in this household!

Cheers, Jenni

Comments

  1. Beautiful. Three of these plants i now have in my garden. I am catching up. This was my first fothergilla fall and after fussing over which variety to grow, i am adoring 'mt airy'. I hope you are having some relief from the builders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Willow, yes..the building next door is coming to an end..now the big guess is..what will we end up with for neighbors?!! Mt Airy is such a stand out shrub this time of year :)

      Delete
  2. I have some of those things but lack the skill to photograph them so beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! I really love the coral bark maple. Do you have any idea whether it can withstand zone 4 temps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynn, Monrovia has the hardiness listed at zones 5-8..and to plant in full sun in the cooler zones. It did not suffer in our cold snaps of the last few years, but the coldest with the windchill was still above 0. I did have other Japanese Maples that suffered. I would recommend if you tried one, to put it in a pot so you could move it around if needed for added winter protection.

      Delete
  4. It’s amazing how many flower buds brave the winter. The colours and shapes of the fading plants adds a special interest to autumn gardens,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning photos -- and leaves and needles! I'm especially loving your hemlock and blue fir. Thanks for joining in on the foliage celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Autumn is glorious and your pictures capture both it's riotous and subdued charms.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great photos. I love so many of your shots.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post. The comment moderator is on and I will approve comments as soon as I can. Thank you for stopping by!

Popular Posts