Vegetable Match Maker

I was lamenting to my best friend and fabulous veggie gardener about my lack of zucchini.  She came over and took a peek to see what the problem was.

We looked at the sorry little zucchini that looked like their blossom's had rotted off and she asked me how the bee's had been near the garden.  I replied that there had been very little bee action since the comfrey and strawberries stopped blooming last month.

She told me I needed to play match maker for my zucchini, pumpkins and squash.  She asked me if I remembered high school biology.  Um no.  Admittedly, I've purposely swiped any science or math related education from my mind.  Since my best friend has known me since we were 10 years old, she had a good laugh about that because she remembers my disdain for science and math even when we were kids. (I made little improvement in college as well...hello! liberal arts major!)

So she put me through a quick plant biology lesson that I'll share here in case I'm not the only one who has forgotten the 'birds and the bee's'. lol :)

Here is a girl zucchini:


She said I was to take the boy flowers with the single stamen and pollinate the girl flower with the pistil (see above).  Same with the pumpkins.  Interestingly enough, my Howden pumpkins are not producing any girl blooms, so I'll be checking daily to see if that changes.  Here's a nice little online link to showcase the flower functions.


So maybe I'll get some zucchini and pumpkins this year after all my plant biology reminder.  I know, duh.
Cheers, Jenni

Comments

  1. I have used a makeup brush in the past to pollinate squash blossoms that are not getting any bee visits. Just swish the brush gently in the male flower and then swish it gently in the female flower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a good idea too Alison!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You mean there was a purpose for all that science stuff? I had no idea. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I basically ignored it all too. It's such a shame isn't it? I mean to teach young people this stuff when they're too immature to appreciate it. Seems like something is wrong with the system. But that's another subject. I hope you have just the right number of zucchinis.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What happens if I accidently pollinate my pumpkin with a zuchinni? A zunkin? Or maybe a puckinni? I will be out pollinating. Although my bees are all over it, as you know I'm under pressure to grow pumpkins for my hubby. I hope yours is on the mend! Is he out yet? My thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. BBBB, I like puckinni! Hubby is still in the hospital, no release date in sight. It's a little stressful. Appreciate all your kind thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They should teach gardening at school as a formal subject -- it would be very useful in later years.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Must admit it's something we have never had to resort to with our courgettes and squashes. We have plenty of insect activity. Try planting some flowers near then that will attract insects next year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I guess I need to try the same thing...My yellow squash is great, but the zuchinni isn't happening. Maybe it got overshadowed in my tight little garden that's so overgrown!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sue, I saw that you have lavender all around your gardens, I thought that was very smart! That is something I can add next year to attract all those lovely bee's!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have to hand pollinate my zucchinis each year too even though we get a fair few bees, i still need to do it! I love the peony in your header, one of my favourite flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh you made me laugh, (in a good way :)

    Yep, we seem to get lots of bees in the front weaving thru the lavender but only yellow jackets in the back garden, so every year we have to help Mother nature to get zucchini, although we did grow any this year :(

    Have a lovely weekend, T. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Jenni, I've been having the same problems as you - blossom rot and i'm not too good at biology. I have bees and insects in the garden but they must not be doing their job! Suppose I'll have to try the brush like Alison suggested.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've read lately about people planting lamb's ears among their vegetables to attract bees.

    I enjoy your blog, and hope your husband has a good recovery.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post. The comment moderator is on and I will approve comments as soon as I can. Thank you for stopping by!

Popular Posts