February in the Garden

Sometimes change feels slow, after you move into a new home. Here, in our new digs, I envision this tidy and perfected creation that is probably about 10 years away. On a beautiful, sunny day, in February, we took up our rakes, shoves and got to work.


Our inherited raspberry patch, desperately needed thinning and a new strawberry bed needed to be made.


I got to work on cleaning out the raised vegetable beds and sowing peas, spinach and swiss chard.


Finally, I sowed my onion sets. The currently popular pearl onions and yellow onions are ready to sprout!


All it takes is a little bit of sunshine to motivate my spirit. My husband and I are feeling a good sense of accomplishment today, albeit a baby step towards the overall grand-plan, but any progress is good progress.

Cheers, Jenni

Comments

  1. I know that feeling...and it feels like you have accomplished so much, and you have.

    Mmmmmm raspberries.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! You got so much work done! I bet you are looking forward to all those yummy vegetables. I actually sowed onions yesterday outside in one of my little portable greenhouses, but the wind blew them over last night. :( Time to try again. Or maybe I should just buy them already started, like last year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much progress...and to think of all the delicious berries you're going to harvest soon :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go Jenni! You and your husband and kids will enjoy the fruits/veggies of your labors in awhile and the work will all be worth it. I love hearing about what is going on there at your new home. Enjoy each and every day ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just think though years of planning and enjoying getting things just right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, I really am trying to keep that in mind. When I'm reading blogs like yours, I take heart that your beautiful gardens were not created in one season, but have been cultivated with true care through many seasons.

      Delete
  6. Very nice Raised Beds, Jenni. I also like the look of those wire support thingies - are they for tomatoes? I don't recall seeing them on sale here. Our garden centres always seem to be full of plastic rubbish that is no good and only lasts one year at best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mark, those are metal tomato cages. I used them last year and they are not sturdy enough. I'm thinking of making a wooden cage. I saved them for peas! I hope to have sweet peas climbing up them this spring!

      Delete
  7. Small steps will get you there, but it seems you made a couple of great big steps this time. I can imagine just how great it felt to get outside and get these jobs done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. One step at the time will make progress, just make sure you enjoy the process too, it's fun, isn't it? I have slowly changed my own garden over the last 11 years, and I am not finished yet!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post. The comment moderator is on and I will approve comments as soon as I can. Thank you for stopping by!

Popular Posts