Ribes sanguineum 'King Edward VII' is my favorite plant in the garden this week


I've been busy weeding this past week and every time I spot my King Edward VII currant, I grin ear to ear. I love the colors, the dainty flowers and compact nature of this plant.

As a matter of fact...it's too compact. It's been such a tidy grower. No wild sprigs or unruly growth. I need more of these early spring lovelies!

This plant was one of the first plants that I purchased when I found out that we were going to move to the families historic home and I would be reclaiming the gardens. I've always been charmed by it and I do believe I'll be adding a few more to create a real statement and have them act as a bit of a screen.

ribes sanguineum 'King Edward VII
The hummingbirds love them too, which makes me very happy. When they zip around the yard and enjoy a drink from the currant, I feel like I'm doing my part to have a bird friendly yard.

After my obsession with hellebores, this currant is my second favorite spring time plant.

Here is Garden World's discription:

Deciduous shrub with upright, arching stems. Among the first to bloom in the spring, this cultivar has pinkish-red, pendulous clusters of delicate flowers. Bluish berries follow the flowers and are attractive to birds. Lobed foliage is green throughout the growing season, then is a combination of reddish and gold in the fall. Medium growth rate.

Here's a link to the rest of the stats from Plantlust.com



Check out Danger Garden's blog where you can see who else is sharing their favorite plant in the garden this week.

Cheers, Jenni





Comments

  1. Wonderful photos Jenni! Every time I come across one of these I have to stop and admire it, such a beautiful bloom and the deeply creased new leaves add to the look. If I wasn't such a bah-humbug when it comes to pink I just might be adding one to my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a beautiful plant, Jennifer, and one I'd never seen before. You photographed it beautifully as well. Lovely to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful plant! It makes me long for spring to come...it's been a loooong winter here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have these volunteering all over the place. I'm now thinking of digging up a few to put where I want them, though they've shown pretty good judgment so far. I've never managed to get such elegant photos though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving the vibrant colour of the flower.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do they readily lend themselves to cuttings or are they too slow growing?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post. The comment moderator is on and I will approve comments as soon as I can. Thank you for stopping by!

Popular Posts