Time to start Spring Seeds

The outside temps neared 70 degrees today and I felt compelled to get the mini greenhouses out storage and start seeds. I fear I'm actually behind this year due to the mild non-winter weather which has continued into a balmy spring.


I dug out the tools, starting soil mix and seeds that I've been carefully storing. This session is to be the first and in another week or two I plan to start a second round that will comprise of more edibles as well as summer ornamental's. It won't take long with the temps we've had to get plump pumpkin and watermelon starts going.

Silver Cat kept me company and enjoyed the warmth on the paver stones
Last year was the first year I tried my hand at gathering seeds off my own plants to start the next year. I was only brave enough to try my aquilegia's but this spring I'm eye-balling my pretty hellebores and thinking I can expand my little propagating project.

It was also delightful to sow seeds passed along by other garden bloggers. I have a lovely envelope full of milkweed seeds from sweet Tamara over at Chickadee Gardens. Perfect, white, seed tuffs, floated away as I separated the seeds from them. It was beautiful. I plan to plant many milkweeds in my gardens and have requests from a few neighbors too.


Here's a list of what was sown today:

Penstemon Cambridge
Aquilegia Leprechaun Gold
Aquilegia Icy Blue
Aquilegia Red Clementine
Milkweed - prairie
Chilean Glory Vine
Bronze Fennel
Nastrurtium Fiesta Blend
California Poppy - dwarf
Lupine - Pixie Delight
Echinacea Cheyenne Spirit

Are you sowing seeds this year? What types?
Cheers, Jenni

Comments

  1. I have a windowsill full of starts that are looking about ready to move outside. I maybe jumped the gun a little, but there were so many seeds to play with from the Fling, even after giving some away. Your list is impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Rickii, many of my starts are from the fling too! I know I missed the window for some of the annuals, hoping they allow for another year's rest.

      Delete
  2. I sowed some seeds shared by other garden bloggers, too, including Tamara's milkweed. I've got some things up already and it's so dang exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sowing seeds this year, lots and lots -- too many to list. Some have sprouted already, some not, and others I still have to sow. I have a bunch that I sow in the beds with plastic cloches over them. Hope you have some great successes, especially that milkweed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alison..you are the seed sower I aspire to be! So many of my plants have come from you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My seeds spouted really quickly in the mild weather. They are all residing in the hopefully warmer outside area near the front of the house.
    You're probably right to have waited , Mine slowed down when the weather turned colder .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Linda, ya...I dunno. This spring has been very unpredictable. I do think we are nearing the end of any type of freeze or frosts. The night time temps are warming up.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a great selection, but what is Chilean Glory Vine?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jason, this Chilean Glory Vine was another delicious gift from Tamara. http://www.finegardening.com/chilean-glory-flower-eccremocarpus-scaber The hummingbirds should love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I have seed starting mix, I have seeds (yes, some milkweed ones too) and mini greenhouses, so really - there is nothing but lack of time and priorities that is stopping me. I too bought an envelope of mini California poppies. The idea was to mix them with Pipolina micro-clover seeds for the little patch of green space I want to keep, but I feel that too is probably a missed window by now. Sigh... I'm not doing so well with the garden this year - at least not yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not too late! Even if you miss the bloom window, you'll still have plants to put in the ground and they'll come back more robust next year.

      Delete
  9. I'm only starting a few seeds this year and as it's the first time I've sown seeds in years, it's been fun. Six kinds of tomatoes, a couple of things from my niece's garden in Alaska and some orange alstroemerias. The tomato plants are just getting their first set of true leaves and I fear they will be too far behind as there are huge gallon plants at nurseries now. We'll see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh but Peter! We have sunshine and warm temps headed our way this weekend. I bet that will really get your starts going!

      Delete
  10. Do you chill the echinacea seeds before sowing>

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, yes, I did chill them. We'll see what the result it. I'll admit that I was a bit disappointed on the # of seeds in the packet when I opened it. Not much. I may have more luck just gathering seeds from my own plants this next year.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post. The comment moderator is on and I will approve comments as soon as I can. Thank you for stopping by!

Popular Posts