It's A Hot Mess - The Early August Garden

The extra hot weather this summer here in Northwest Oregon, has caused me to worry about my current plant choices in the garden.  I have been moving towards more heat and drought tolerant plants, while keeping a cottage feel around my little house. Now these plants are really getting a test of just how drought and heat tolerant they really are.

So, here is a snapshot of what has been performing well:

Solidago or 'Goldenrod'
Solidago is a North American native plant that also has medicinal qualities. I love it's free form and bright, cheerful color. The bee's absolutely love this plant too. The original plant provided a healthy seedling this spring, which I moved to the other side of the sun garden and it is pictured above. It has been unfazed by the hot and dry weather.

Verbena bonariensis
Verbena bonariensis, native to South America, has been holding up like a champ in our hot summer. I love the height of this plant as it adds a vertical element to the garden and will gently sway in the breeze. The butterflies and hummingbirds love this plant. One of our summer hummers likes to sit on the sturdier limbs for his lookout post, overseeing the garden. I've been fortunate to get quite a few seedlings this summer and have been replanting them around the gardens to get a more balanced effect with the plant.

Dahlias 
There is nothing like the colorful blooms of dahla's in the late summer garden. These bulb based plants require a little more water then the previously mentioned plants but pack a wow factor unmatched (in my opinion) for colorful blooms. All but one of mine are in containers (due to my plantlust not matching my available garden space) but they are still marching on despite the constraints.


Whew..this photo shows the hot mess my gardens are in. The verbena bonariensis, echinacea, phygelius and lavender surround the bird / bee bath. Echinachea continues to be a favorite of mine for summer gardens. The butterflies love to land on it's wide blooms and the stalks are sturdy enough not to sway wildly in the summer breeze. It is extremely heat and drought tolerant.

phygelius 'Passionate', agastache 'Golden Jublee' and Verbena bonariensis
I was introduced to Cape Fuchsia's (phygelius) by my fellow garden bloggers here in Portland and I love this plant. I have three varieties now and really enjoy growing them for the hummingbirds. Above is a crummy picture of 'Passionate' which has dark foliage with bright coral blooms. Another summer favorite that stands up to the heat is agastache 'Golden Jublee'. I was gifted three starts from a fellow garden blogger and these plants have not failed me. Even better Golden Jublee survives our wet winters, whereas other agastache varities have not in my heavy clay soil.

Eutrochium 'Joe Pye Weed'
Eutrochium, better known as Joe Pye Weed, is another North American plant that is more often found by stream beds as it does like wet feet, however, mine have not had that luxury and are none the worse for wear. It is not a voracious spreader but does send up a few more shoots every year which allows it to fill in nicely. The bee's and butterflies love it. I use it has a screen to separate my garden from the rest of the back yard as it is wonderfully tall.

Overall, I think I'm moving in the right direction with my plant choices. I've been pleased with how well they have held up this summer with our abnormal heat. I'm currently starting a few more echinacea's from seed as they seem to be the ticket for sturdy summer to fall color.

What are you favorite heat and drought tolerant plants?

Cheers, Jenni

Comments

  1. As far as favorites go, Eryngium has been one of the best this year for me. I'm also checking into planting more drought-tolerant shrubs and small trees. My garden is a hot mess too, but I've been taking a good look lately at what still looks good despite minimal watering, and vowing to plant more of those next year. In fact, I've got a new Pinterest board called Plant More, which is how I'm keeping track of the drought tolerant plants I want more of. Your regular Joe Pye looks pretty good, some of mine is suffering. My chocolate Joe Pye is actually in better shape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know about your pinterest board..I'll be following that one! Do you want another Chocolate Joe? I have one that needs a home.

      Delete
    2. Oh, I'd love your extra chocolate Joe! Maybe at the fall plant exchange?

      Delete
    3. Yes, I'll save it for you until then!

      Delete
  2. My list would look a lot like yours, with the addition of Kniphofia and Casa Blanca lilies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hmmmm, Casa Blanca lilies...something I might try!

      Delete
  3. I tried Echinacea early on, without a lot of success. I know, how is that possible. Well, I didn't understand the whole sun/shade thing at the beginning. I been wanting a green variety, because I'm still operating under the delusion that I'm mostly a foliage gardener, and green blends in. Says the girl who just bought 3 Crape Myrtles...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 3? Oh how wonderful! Think of the added summer color. I can't wait for them to show up on a future blog post of yours!

      Delete
  4. You have difficult conditions Jennifer! Don't sorry to much about the mess, it is just that what makes a cottage garden adorable. Keep trying new plants. I guess the native are the best for you. Groetjes, Hetty

    ReplyDelete
  5. It doesn't look like a "hot mess" to me! You're doing a fabulous job and I think this summer has really tested our gardens, for sure. I've had good luck so far but my water bill is going to rival the national debt. I am really pleased with Aster 'Monch'. It mingles well and has a much longer blooming period than other Asters. Coreopsis 'Mercury Rising' is another winner and the annual 'Kiss Me Over the Garden Gate' is just starting to bloom. And oh yes, Crape Myrtle! It is a fantastic late-summer beauty. Here's to a COOL August!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was gifted an aster from Tamara so, I'm curious to see how it performs. I let last year's asters stay and wow! I didn't realize they would get so big! I hope the bee's enjoy :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post. The comment moderator is on and I will approve comments as soon as I can. Thank you for stopping by!

Popular Posts