Bloom Day - May 2017


Sunny days with the birds chirping and bees buzzing have been few and far between in the damp Pacific Northwest. In my zone 8b gardens, the blooms are budding but they've been difficult to capture between rain and hail storms. Above, my favorite shot of pink dogwood blossoms from 2017.

lewisia cotyledon 'sunset strain'
I keep my lewisia in a metal kitchen strainer to keep the plant from getting too wet. Above are the pretty blooms I have been rewarded with. It's native to Southern Oregon but isn't happy with too much water and not enough sun.



The tulips finished blooming in early May. They endured a windy and wet spring. I grow them in pots in order to keep the blooms from drowning in my wet, heavy clay soil.

Geum 'Totally Tangerine'
My geums 'Totally Tangerine' have provided a delightful spray of orange color. Very cheerful, especially with the number of deary days. This geum flourishes in dappled sunlight and in a less than ideal garden box....one that will be paved over with cobble stones some day.

The geums edge this small planter that hugs the walkway to the backyard. Someday...I've putting paving stones down to create more walkable space to the backyard.

blooms from the variegated saxifraga
Pretty spring bulbs, ornithogalum or Star of Bethlehem..I inherited these pretty spring bulbs and enjoy them every year
The upside of all the rain and cool temps is the lush foliage emerging from the plants. My garden beds are full of color.

look at the size of those rodgerisa leaves! Gorgeous bronze color.
The fruit trees bloomed...briefly. The rain and hail really pelted the fragile blossoms. Hoping that the bees had a bit of time to pollinate despite the weather.

apple blossoms
fothergilla 'Mount Airy'
We've had maybe 2-3 evening after-work where we could come home and enjoy the grassy patio. Demon cat was eager for us to get the cushions out.


Now the cats are happy....the humans were finally useful!


I've tried to soak up the bits of sunshine as much as possible when it's emerged....such a cool spring, but in all realities..an average one. We had been spoiled the past few years with warm starts to the growing year.

Happy Garden Bloggers Bloom Day! Visit Carol, host of these monthly meme and see what is blooming around the world as we celebrate something that joins all of us together..a love of gardening.

Cheers, Jenni

Comments

  1. Your photos are breathtaking! I just planted my first Lewisia yesterday. I have been admiring the geums at the nursery. They are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rain was promised but so far hasn't materialised Amazingly just as I finished the last sentence I looked out of the window and rain was beginning to fall not very much but it's a start. Our ground is very dry and desperately in need of some rain we are keeping going with the watering cans but it isn't the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the cat photos, and the apple blooms are beautiful!
    Happy Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That photo of the cats is hilarious, and as Phillip said, your plant pics are breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your photo of the cats made me chuckle. Your shots of the garden are gorgeous and lush. I have a couple of orange Geums, but they must not be well placed, they never flower like that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful photo of the Dogwood blossoms! Your garden is stunning. Happy Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like you have to fight the elements in your garden. We have great soil but this year with very little rain the soil is bone dry. So we are hoping for some rain!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous photos of your lovely blooms! Glad that you were finally useful to your cats. It's rainy, cold, and dark again this morning and my relatives in Alaska are gloating over their sunny days that are warmer than ours. The rain has made everything quite lush but we're all ready for warmer, drier days. Happy GBBD!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your garden is looking gorgeous and lush …it's the RAIN ! Looks like sunny days are coming starting tomorrow ?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Some good tips here...the Lewisia in the kitchenstrainer is one I might steal. I would fight the cats for a sit-down in those handsome chairs: the colors are super.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you finally showed yourself useful to the feline masters! I love that orange Geum flower.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your blooms are great! Thanks for sharing. I love the photo of the cats on the chairs.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post. The comment moderator is on and I will approve comments as soon as I can. Thank you for stopping by!

Popular Posts