A Raised Garden Box...Just for the Bee's

I have eight raised garden boxes in my vegetable garden. This year, I decided to dedicate one box for the pollinators. While I've always tucked in summer annuals like marigolds and alyssum in my veggie boxes, I've never dedicated a whole box just for blooms.

I had a packet of mixed seeds from Botanical Interests that I had purchased a year prior and I thought, why not? I directly sowed them in mid-March, which was about 4-6 weeks before our last frost date.

Much to my delight, I have a box of blossoms.


The bees are so happy.


I have borage, calendula, crimson clover, bachelor buttons, mexican lupines, sunflowers, parsley and cosmos so far. There are a few more plants brewing but I have not be able to identify them thus far.



I think this box of blooms is my favorite thing in the gardens this year. I just love coming home from a long day and wandering back to my vegetable gardens. I love to see how many new blooms are open and how many bees are buzzing about.

Have you ever dedicated a size-able space in your vegetable gardens for our pollinating friends? What are some of your favorite flowers to include in and around your vegetable gardens?

Cheers, Jenni

Comments

  1. You got some very pretty flowers out of that packet! Aren't seeds just the best? For something so inexpensive, they pack such a big punch. I don't actually grow any flowers in with my veggies, but if I did it would probably be an edible flower like Nasturtiums or Calendula.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did get a nice variety! I'm so pleased. I've got the itch to build more beds dedicated to blooms from seed packets :)

      Delete
  2. So fun! I love, love love it and think everyone should do the same! :)
    I stuck in some calendula, nasturtiums, cosmos, lavender, and one of my faves, zinnias, this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mindy, you don't need to dedicate a box with all the lovely, complimentary blooms you've tucked in! I have been enjoying all of your backyard pictures!

      Delete
  3. How lovely Jennifer. Your photos are so nice. Is it a 50 mm lens you are using?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane, I'm using an 18 - 55 mm. I'm hoping to get a macro lens in the future :)

      Delete
  4. I'm surprised that your mix included Parsley, though I have to admit that when it flowers it is very pretty. The plant most attractive to bees in my garden this year has been the Purple Sprouting Broccoli that I left to go to seed. They loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised by the parsley too, but the packet did say it had 'herbs' in and and well, it delivered! :)

      Delete
  5. Love it! Very pretty... Seeing bees and their buddies swarm around flowers makes me happy too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm more likely to tuck veggies into flower beds, but R does have dedicated veggie raised beds where I snuck in some nasturtiums. My first gardening adventure was a packet of wildflower seeds, so I can identify with the pleasure you are getting from that bed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful idea. I'm growing borage this year for the first time and I really love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice mix ! I don't grow veg. anymore , but I love herbs in the garden !

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this!!! At the school garden, we have a butterfly garden to attract beneficials. And I mix all sorts of flowers into my veggie beds to attract pollinators.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Despite the attempts of garden designers to put strong emphasis on foliage, there is nothing quite as awe-inspiring as a flower garden. And there is nothing quite as satisfying as watching the bees enjoy them. Great post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post. The comment moderator is on and I will approve comments as soon as I can. Thank you for stopping by!

Popular Posts