Camping in the Gifford Pinchot National Forest

Labor Day weekend found us camping in the Gifford Pinchot National Forest. After experiencing one of the hottest summer I can remember in Portland, it was a relief to have damp, misty air and cool nights.

Here are some photo's of the gorgeous greenery around the campground:

Native Vine Maple Acer Circinatum

Un-named dry creek that would feed into the Wind River if running. The heavily covering of moss suggests it's been awhile since it ran.
My husband shows his dad how you estimate a tree's age. This one was easily over 900 years old
Moss gathers on a fallen tree



Western Hemlock

upper Wind River

It was a delightfully moist camping trip, which made the campfire all the more enjoyable. And the vivid green hues that surrounded us were a welcome sight.

Cheers, Jenni

Comments

  1. I bet it was nice to be amongst all that green. Great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Delightfully moist" is a strange term! I thought the Pacific North-West was supposed to be perennially "delightfully moist"...? How come the 900-year-old tree had to be cut down, I wonder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not moist this summer! It's been insanely hot all summer long. The tree looks like it fell on it's own accord and was cut to make the train pass through.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful pics of a gorgeous place!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect antidote as I sit here sweating in the heat.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post. The comment moderator is on and I will approve comments as soon as I can. Thank you for stopping by!

Popular Posts