New House Files Part 4: Ye Old Kitchen

Kitchen Work and Life Behind the Wheel.

I'm learning that remodeling an house is really dirty work. The little cottage in the historic Willamette district of West Linn, Oregon that will be our home this summer, needs a lot of TLC on the inside.

While my husband has been stripping away the many layers of old paint on the hand built kitchen cabinets, I've been laboring away at the walls of the dining room. Here are some pictures snapped of work in progress during March 2012.



Next for April, ceilings to paint and time to primer the dining room and then I'm off to work on the bedroom walls. There is not a wall in that house that I won't have to work on.

I've been dreaming of a butcher block counter top and a farmhouse style sink, but alas, it's not to be. However, I will be getting a new built in dishwasher (the house currently has no dishwasher). I have to pick my battles (only because my budget tells me so not because I'm naturally one to compromise). I will be able to update the colors of the old counter top and I've had fun pinning away on Pinterest idea's for lighting and other fixtures.

The rest of the home has been cleared out and emptied; I've enjoyed just standing in rooms and looking at the blank slate of endless possibilities flashing about in my mind.

This past weekend was primarily spent on the road. We purchased a new living room furniture set that was sized right to fit the smaller home then the set we currently have. The store loaded the 3 seat couch only for us to find out after we drove down to West Linn that it was the wrong color. So, many trips later, we have all three pieces of the right color in the house. Good Grief.

I felt like a long haul truck driver with all my time behind the wheel.

Cheers, Jenni

Here's a link to my earlier posts on this home remodeling project:
http://rainydaygardener.blogspot.com/2012/03/new-house-files-part-1.html

http://rainydaygardener.blogspot.com/2012/03/new-house-files-part-2.html 

http://rainydaygardener.blogspot.com/2012/03/new-house-files-part-3.html 

Comments

  1. OMG...so much work! I know exactly how you feel...I remember that feeling when we first bought our place...I still haven't recovered from our week-long painting binge! Can't wait to see what it looks like when it's done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenni, you are so busy and what a lot of driving but I am sure you will be relieved and able to relax once you move in :)

    Have a lovely Monday, cheers, T. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi T! It just feels a bit far off some days the relaxing and actual moving in. sigh. It will happen :)

      Delete
  3. It's exciting choosing new colour schemes isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is Sue, but then I get all weirded out and torn between doing what I like and what is popular. Sigh.

      Delete
    2. Always go for what you like - you have to live with it

      Delete
  4. Wow! The place is so bright! I can't wait to see the colors. It looks like there was some sunshine there. All the work will be worth it in the end. Glad you are taking photos, you won't regret that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kudos on all your hard work! It's looking so nice and bright with all that white on the walls and cabinets. Bummer about the farmhouse sink, but maybe some time in the future? Good that you're getting a dishwasher. I coped without one for quite a few years in our first house. No fun, I really hate dish-washing. Actually, I don't much like vacuuming or laundry either. Or washing floors...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm really enjoying following your progress on this, Jennifer. So exciting. And new furniture too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is more exciting having a new home for the first time.

    _____________
    kitchen worktops

    ReplyDelete
  8. A huge amount of work for sure but it will be a beautiful home when you are done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds tiring just reading about what you're doing. I know you'll be glad when the walls are all finished. I'd love a farmhouse sink too, maybe one day we'll both have one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope we both get them Catherine, I couldn't think of two more deserving ladies!! :)

      Delete
  10. How are things going in the kitchen? I like all the light coming in from the windows. That will be a nice kitchen to cook in.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post. The comment moderator is on and I will approve comments as soon as I can. Thank you for stopping by!

Popular Posts