Chocolate Cosmos 'Cosmos atrosanguineus', my favorite plant of the week

When I read the tag a year ago, I was so excited to purchase this plant! It sounded so exotic. Chocolate scented blooms? Mmmmmm......and that color.....

Chocolate Cosmos, 'Cosmos Atrosanguineus'

But, darn those bugger, slugs got it last year and while it was a wee babe yet, still in it's pot! I thought I had lost it.

So, I was delighted to find it pumping new foliage this spring and made sure I protected it from those nasty, huge, speckled, slimy, slugs. They ruin the best plants!

Here are some stats from plantlust.com:

Perennial
Zone 8a - 10b
H:24"-36"
W:12"-18"

"This distinctive Cosmos has flowers that resemble those of a single-flowered Dahlia. They are a very dark, maroon-crimson with, as the common name suggests, a chocolaty aroma. Plants bloom all summer. Mulch in colder areas or simply treat as an annual"

The blooms are unique and impressively colored. It looks great as a border plant and would even benefit where it is placed in my gardens, to drape over a decorative rock.

This is a tender perennial, so I will be treating it with care this winter as the old Farmer's Almanac has predicted a colder than normal winter for us. If that stands true, this zone boarding plant will be covered with mulch and pampered.

Find other garden bloggers posting their favorite plants of the week over at Danger Garden's blog.

Happy Friday the 13th! Cheers, Jenni

Comments

  1. I've been tempted to buy Chocolate Cosmos many times, but its tender perennial status always stops me. Glad yours survived the slugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the heads-up on the 'colder than normal' winter. I didn't know it was borderline in these areas. That velvety red is to swoon over. Great photo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had one of these a few years ago...it was lovely! You've got me missing it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a fun plant...that scent is wonderful...and I've had some come back for the past 3 years...they just come up a little late...and I always think they are dead until I see the blooms appear :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know Scott! I moved mine from it's original spot and while it's been a bit droopy, it's starting to bounce back now. I'm very hopeful it will be happier in this new spot and that it will survive the winter to put on a good show next year!

      Delete
  5. I have been drawn to this plant many times, but was always somehow talked out of it. I think next year will be the time to go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jenny! I think it has a dramatic look because of its color. I'd love to have it in my garden!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a lovely plant, I have had it several times but not been very good at getting it to come back the following year. It also requires full sun, something I don't have much of in my garden so I have given up growing it. I miss it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've tried growing these twice but both times they disappeared!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, it could be slugs or could have have gotten too cold. They are really zone bordering for me and I'm going to have to pile on the mulch and say a little prayer over it should we get a cold winter.

      Delete
  9. This is a plant we often see here in the borders of formal gardens. I have often admired it, but it looks pretty fragile. Like Helene, I too would have difficulty in finding a good spot to grow it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really needs a lot of sun. I recently moved mine to give it more. Also, those cold winters you've had the past few years, Mark. I think they would be hard to keep alive.

      Delete
  10. It's a beauty but, like some other commenters, I've been afraid to try it because of its tenderness. Didn't know about the colder than normal winter prediction. I sure hope it's wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You know what slugs are? Living poo. ;) I love Chocolate Cosmos. I haven't grown it in awhile though. Maybe I'll try it again next year. The flowers are divine, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post. The comment moderator is on and I will approve comments as soon as I can. Thank you for stopping by!

Popular Posts