A Spot of Rain

Sweet July rainfall. We have suffered here in the Pacific Northwest from abnormally hot, summer temperatures with little trace of rainfall since late May. However, we had rain showers yesterday as a low trough moved over the region and it holds today as well. Another chance of rain and maybe thunderstorms tonight to possibly drench our thirsty lands.

I braved the downpours yesterday and captured a few garden pictures, to remind me in the future when the hot temps return, of the rain that will find it's way back to us again. Clearly I am a native Oregonian as I truly despise daytime temps over 85 degrees F.

Mystic Haze Dahlia

Crocosmia 'Lucifer'

Hemerocallis
echinacea sombrero hot coral

echinacea purpurea cheyenne spirit
Traditionally, the hottest few weeks of the year in the PNW are approaching. Let's hope the plants (and people) survive the upcoming August heat.

Cheers, Jenni

Comments

  1. Everything looks better bejeweled with raindrops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wasn't that something? I was euphoric!!! And then again today - I couldn't believe our luck! Thank you, weather gods!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky!! We only got rain on Saturday. All that fabulous rain missed us on Sunday. I was so bummed.

      Delete
    2. Lucky!! We only got rain on Saturday. All that fabulous rain missed us on Sunday. I was so bummed.

      Delete
  3. These last couple of cooler, rainy days have been such a relief. We got a lovely thunderstorm yesterday evening, which was exciting. A few more hot days to come, though, later this week. We so seldom see summer flowers with raindrops on them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennifer, such lovely flowers. I'm new to dahlias this year and am in love with them. Do you have problems with earwigs or anything else? I suspect they are the ones that are nibbling on the petals as they start opening. So glad you've had rain. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane, I have not had trouble with earwigs....that said...I have had trouble with leaf cutter ants this year. All of my plants are getting nibbled and I honestly do not know how to remedy the situation. I've read that if you can find the next or the main trail of them, you can sprinkle Diatomaceous Earth and that will ruin them.

      Delete
  5. How lovely the flowers look in their water droplet cloaks. We drove back home east over Santiam pass last night in the rain - it was so refreshing and it felt good to be cold again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I am jealous. There is nothing quite like that first, refreshing rainfall after a long drought.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post. The comment moderator is on and I will approve comments as soon as I can. Thank you for stopping by!

Popular Posts