Wednesday Vignette - Colorful Coneflowers

echinacea purpurea magnus 'Purple Coneflower' and echinacea purpurea white swan 'White Swan Coneflower'
Where would my summer flower gardens be without a dash of coneflowers? I never grew them before until I saw them featured on the blog 'Rhone Street Gardens' based nearby in Portland.

I believe the original coneflower, Echinacea Purpurea is an american native flower. This species has been cultivated into a wide variety of colors. I grow echinacea purpurea 'Magnus' (a close looking cousin) in a few places as it's very hardy, colorful and a magnet for bees & butterflies.

When the coneflowers in my garden start to bloom, I feel that summer has well and truly arrived. Coneflowers make me think about wide, open spaces and of I love watching to see which kinds of butterflies will visit these easy to land on flowers.

Please join Anna over at Flutter and Hum to see more Wednesday Vignettes from garden bloggers everywhere.

Cheers, Jenni

Comments

  1. The coneflowers are starting to open in my garden now too. I also have White Swan. I love this workhorse of a plant, and the bees love it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like White Swan better than PowWow White. I think the bee's like White Swan better too.

      Delete
  2. That is one beelicious vignette.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coneflowers are wonderful! I have White Swan, but being as it may, it's plodding along in the few hours of afternoon sun it gets. No flowers yet, but I'm still hopeful... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My pink ones are blooming, but I'm still waiting on a couple others. I need that white one in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They grow wild on the prairie. Nothing can beat their scent. I have a difficult time getting them to grow here. Yours are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bonnie, I keep thinking of new places in my garden to create beds that have a lot more sun. I envision a swath of coneflowers in the summer.

      Delete
  6. they look gorgeous, I am looking forward to them in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the coneflowers, natives from the American prairies, too but stopped trying them, obviously they don´t like our wet acid soil. In other parts of our country with sandy soil they are doing quite well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Unfortunately echinacea don't like our soil.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love coneflowers and have loads of them. It wouldn't be summer without them. :o)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post. The comment moderator is on and I will approve comments as soon as I can. Thank you for stopping by!

Popular Posts