Wednesday Vignette - Summer Heather

On this late Wednesday in July, we are enduring another heatwave here in the Portland, Oregon greater region. I was outside, braving the furnace and took a second look at my calluna vulgaris 'Firefly'.

Wow, this plant! It's really loving the heat. It is in full bloom and with the hot temps, the petite blossoms have turned a much deeper shade of purple than in years prior.

calluna vulgaris 'Firefly'


The chartreuse foliage is quite striking in contrast. It's an amazing plant, with true, year round interest. 

Not too shabby of a find on a hot summer's night. 

Head over to Anna's blog to find out what other interesting vignette's garden bloggers are showcasing. 

Cheers, Jenni


Comments

  1. Thanks for the recommendation. Adding it to my "want" list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Jenni - that's gorgeous! I think I remember you posting a photo of the same plant some time in winter, and it looked COMPLETELY different, but still fantastic. I need to add this one to my year-round interest list, for sure. Thanks for educating me in the finer things of heathers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Callunas do heavy duty in Delusional Drive. I have them for their year-round foliage but your photo has me thinking it's time to check for flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Jenny, it is fantastic to have a plant that loves the heat. I hope your garden is not suffering too much! Groetjes, Hetty

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful ! I don't have a single heather in my garden , I always imagine they need moist soil ? I'm reading Margery Fish with all this indoor time…she's was a big heather fan!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is one advantage of having a diversity of plants: whatever the weather, there is somebody who will be happy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post. The comment moderator is on and I will approve comments as soon as I can. Thank you for stopping by!

Popular Posts